1) Our imminent 'doom' has more to do with the current political climate than the actual Earth climate. Our US readers already know their likely presidential successor to GW Bush will be either Barak Husssein Obama/ Hillary Rodham Clinton or John strait-talk McCain. While they may differ ever so slightly over other issues, on the issue of 'climate Change' all 3 are in lock-step.
2) While its probably not a surprise that both Democrat candidates are pro-global warming as they try to keep their environmental wacko base happy, what is different this political season is that the 'Republican' candidate, McCain has a similar view. This sadly means that there will be no presidential candidate this year willing to question the assertion that global warming (a.k.a. “climate change”) is man-made, or the assertion that we can fix global warming by passing a few laws.
3) Like Clinton and Obama, McCain’s proposal involves a “cap and trade” mechanism to legislatively limit CO2 emissions in the coming years, with the free market minimizing the economic damage by allowing a trading of emission credits between companies. There is amazingly widespread misperception that we can do anything substantial about carbon emissions without seriously compromising economic growth.
4) Sure, forcing a reduction in CO2 emissions will help spur investment in any new energy technologies. Finding a replacement for carbon-based energy will require a huge investment of wealth, and destroying wealth, which is what a carbon tax would do, is not a very good first step, toward that goal. At some point you would think as we are faced with the stark reality that mankind’s requirement for an abundant source of energy cannot simply be legislated out of existence that we would revolt against this kind of nonsense.
5) The bottom line to all of this crap is that despite all the doomsday predictions of how bad things are going to get cllimate-wise, and how we (man kind) is destroying the planet, there has never been a single scientific paper published that has ruled out natural variability for most of the warming (however minimal its been the last 50 years) we’ve seen. So, here we are with bad science ready to support bad policy decisions that will lead to bad economic times ahead. If no one among us is willing to stand up to the scare scientists and their willing accomplices in the media and politicians continue down this path we are indeed doomed!